A Day of Racial Healing is taking place across the United States next week with communities participating in activities centering around racial healing in homes, communities, and institutions. Pennsylvania is also participating and on Tuesday, January 18th, an event is happening in the Jenkintown Town Square. Jenkintown Artist Laureate M. Brian Bowens’s Solidarity mural features prominently in the event.
First Lady Frances Wolf and the Governor’s Office of Advocacy and Reform will be in attendance. Here is the schedule for the event:
- 10:00 a.m. – Welcome from Dan Jurman, OAR Executive Director, and Jenkintown Borough Mayor, Gabriel Lerman
- 10:05 a.m. – Vocal Performance by Jenkintown Middle/High School Choir, The BelleTones
- 10:10 a.m. – First Lady Frances Wolf
- 10:20 a.m. – Esteban Serrano,Symbol of Solidarity documentary
- 10:30 a.m. – Poetry Performance by Dr. Phillip Jeffrey Tietbohl
- 10:35 a.m. – Closing from Victor Cabral, OAR Deputy Director, and Jenkintown Borough Council President, Jay Conners
- 10:45 a.m. – Solidarity Walk from Jenkintown Town Square to Mural Location
- 10:50 a.m. – “Paint Solidarity” community participation painting on canvas
- 11:00 a.m. – Event Conclusion
Jenkintown Town Square is located at Leedom Street & Greenwood Avenue in Jenkintown.