“The Montgomery County Commissioners, on the advice of the Montgomery County Department of Public Safety, have declared a Code Blue Cold Weather Emergency for Montgomery County based on a review of forecasts from the National Weather Service,” stated Mr. John Corcoran, Director of Communications for Montgomery County.
“The Code Blue Declaration has been issued for Montgomery County for the period beginning Thursday, January 10th at 7:00 PM and ending on Saturday, January 12th at 9:00 AM,” Mr. Corcoran continued. “During this time period, the temperature and/or wind chill is expected to be below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.”
“A Code Blue Cold Weather Declaration is made in Montgomery County when winter conditions pose a threat of serious harm or death to individuals without shelter,” Mr. Corcoran concluded. “A Code Blue is called when the combination of air temperature and wind chill is anticipated to be 20 degrees Fahrenheit or less.”
Among the recommendations from Montgomery County as to what to do in Code Blue Conditions are the following items:
- Check on elderly friends and neighbors frequently to ensure that their homes are adequately heated.
- If you see someone in need of immediate assistance, call or text 9-1-1.
- If you or someone you know needs help with temporary shelter from the cold weather or a longer-term housing issue, call Your Way Home at 2-1-1 or text 898-211.
Among the tips suggested by Montgomery County for individuals to prepare for a Code Blue:
- Make sure your car is winterized with antifreeze, a full tank of gas, properly inflated tires, and is stocked with an emergency kit.
- Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Wear appropriate clothing and avoid prolonged exposure when going outdoors in winter weather.
- Limit pets’ time outdoors during extreme temperatures.
- Report power outages directly to your utility company; DO NOT call 9-1-1.
For general cold weather information, please visit the website for Montgomery County.
The Code Blue Logo is provided courtesy of Montgomery County, 2018.