Flashback to 1968: Abington Friends student move skeleton to Upper School

The photo above shows Abington Friends School students moving a biology class skeleton to the new Upper School at Meetinghouse Road and Greenwood Avenue in Jenkintown. It was published in The Philadelphia Evening Bulletin on September 29, 1968.

Pictured are Ellen Kramer (left), of Rudal; Madeleine Robinson (center) of Jenkintown; and Ellen Levitt, of Rydal.

From 1931 to 1974, Abington Friends was an all-girls college preparatory school. By 1975 all grades K-12 were coeducational, and under the leadership of headmaster Adelbert Mason, the school’s facilities expanded with new buildings for the Lower, Middle, and Upper schools. Growth continued in the late 1980s with a new science and arts wing in the lower school.

Fun Fact: Abington Friends School began as a one-room schoolhouse and has stood on its original campus since 1697.

For more on the Upper School, you can click here.

For all the latest news, follow us on Facebook or sign up for Glenside Local’s “Daily Buzz” newsletter here.

Photo: Temple University Libraries, Special Collections Research Center