In a team effort between Willow Hill Elementary School and the Abington Police Department, the third annual Willow Hill Bike Rodeo will take place on Friday, June 1, from 5 to 7:30 p.m.at 1700 Coolidge Ave,, Willow Grove. With the summer fast approaching, the event aims to keep children safe by instilling the importance of bicycle safety, and establishing best practices, including:
- Providing helmets to students who don’t have them
- Properly fitting helmets to students’ heads
- Registering bicycles serial numbers with APD in case a bike is lost
- Giving out “safety swag bags” to keep bike safety top of mind for students
- Offering tips to children and their families about bike safety
In addition, attendees can choose one of four specially designed courses to practice their bike skills, including stopping, turning, weaving through cones and using hand signals. Following the completion of the course, a certificate will be awarded to all participants, prior to the police leading families on a community fun ride through the neighborhood. Upon returning to the school, prizes will be raffled off and refreshments will be served.
The Willow Hill Bike Rodeo is made possible by the Willow Hill Elementary PTO and a grant from Citizens and Police Together (CAPT), in addition to support from the Police Explorers, Abington Township Public Works, Township commissioners, community members, local businesses and Willow Hill teachers and staff.